The Community Health Worker (CHW) provides a variety of services to Lowell CHC?s patients with Asthma and their families. Services include asthma education, case management/follow-up, multiple home visits, care coordination and referrals to various resources. The CHW will work under the supervision of Program Supervisor at Lowell CHC?s Community Health department and principal investigator from University of Massachusetts Lowell. The program?s goal is to improve/ control asthma complications and reduce emergency room visits and hospitalizations for our patients with asthma. Outreach efforts will be coordinated with all departments including Adult Medicine, Family Medicine, School Based Health Centers, Metta Health Center, and other agencies in the region.
- Under the supervision of the Program Supervisor, the CHW provides asthma education to patients/families in both individual and group settings.
- Conduct in-home assessments and interventions with families and individuals with Asthma; identifies asthma triggers and helps the family reduce them.
- Conduct in person material drop offs to patients, such as supplies to reduce Asthma disparities, and other SDOH needs.
- Implement intervention, provide social support to participants, collect and enter data into data systems as directed.
- Facilitate communications between study participants and health care providers.
- Participate in ongoing development of strategies for identifying, educating, and providing health education services to populations at risk.
- Provide case management/care coordination and follow up for patients/families.
- Document progress of patients in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) per required program guidelines.
- Act as an advocate for the patient in the clinic/community.
- Act as a liaison (bridge) between the patients/families and the Adult/asthma program.
- Provides referrals and connects patients/families to resources to help them overcome social problems and barriers related to asthma control and management.
- Collaborate with community agencies to coordinate resources and referrals.
- Participate in community health fairs, workshops and other promotional events as needed.
- Schedule and provide outreach educational workshops with appropriate individuals and groups.
- Schedule and provide recruitment outreach to appropriate individuals and groups to meet program goals.
- Translate educational content for materials and distributes health promotion materials in own language and English. Materials may include posters, display boards, fact sheets, educational brochures and newsletters, and other health related information.
- Identify and network with community leaders to establish foundation and linkage with community agencies.
- Provide interpreter and referral services for program participants, clients and Lowell CHC patients when needed.
- Prepare monthly reports in accordance with project and Lowell CHC?s procedures and ensures that the reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Actively participate in staff and program meetings that relate to job description.
- Two years experience in community outreach or other human services preferred. Related education may be substituted for one year experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bilingual in English and any one of these languages is required: Spanish, Swahili, French, and Khmer with ability to read, write and speak in public forums.
- Experience and understanding of multi-cultural beliefs, practices and culture required.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
- Ability to work well and respect people of diverse backgrounds.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Candidates with prior knowledge in home visiting and health care fields preferred.
- Graduate of a Community Health Worker training program preferred.
- Experience using REDCAP a plus
How To Apply
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration